Clicky

chatbox
a rwby role play

about us
Legends. Stories, scattered through time. Mankind has grown quite fond of recounting the many exploits of heroes and villains, forgetting so easily that we are remnants - byproducts - of a forgotten past.

Join the ranks of Remnant’s prestigious Academies as you fight to protect the Four Kingdoms from the clutches of the evil Creatures of Grimm. Alternatively, you may work towards bringing the world to its knees by fighting against the last sparks of humanity. Red Like Roses is based on the hit web-series RWBY by Monty Oum and Rooster Teeth Productions.

What will happen this year?

updates
feb 16 we are excited to announce the unveiling of the new skin, CASPIAN! :D

Add Reply
New Poll

Funding RLR?

Would you donate to help RLR?
I'm in favor, and would donate [ 6 ]  [60.00%]
I'm in favor, but can't donate [ 4 ]  [40.00%]
I'm opposed [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I'm indifferent [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 10
Guests cannot vote 
Kenji
 Posted on May 28 2016, 10:08 AM
is Offline
Admin
played by

Note: PLEASE read this before voting or posting a response.

So what's this about? Well, to put it simply, it's about funding the many things we've been asked about on RLR. While the staff providing such things out of pocket is definitely possible and likely, I thought it might be worth gauging community interest in making the funding of a few key elements to Red Like Roses a community-wide endeavor. Before we go through the rigamarole, let me make a few things clear:
  • We are not going to make you donate! So don't feel bad if you can't!
  • We are not going to give people in-game benefits if they do!
  • All donations will ONLY be used for the funding of Red Like Roses. Full transparency - that is a promise.

It may come as a surprise to some that running a forum the way we've been running Red Like Roses has been expensive in its own right. The domain we purchased is about $15 USD per year, with the CBox sitting at about $20 USD for the year (unless my numbers are off). We've been very lucky to have had people pitch in for both of these things in the past. However, there is a new variable that is frequently brought up, and we are more than willing to implement if people want it:

JCink's Premium Service.

This costs $80 USD per year (I'm not sure if there's any tax, but I don't believe there is) and gives us many little perks we can use to help the site - notably content freedom and the removal of ads. A lot of people use AdBlock, which isn't bad in and of itself, but it would hinder the site's ability to make money through ad revenue if we were to try to monetize it. Content Freedom is likely the best of the perks, as some players have an itch for graphic/explicit scenes in their posts.

So the overall cost for funding RLR, if we went Premium, would sit at about $115 USD for an entire year. Not too bad, right? This is broken down as follows, in case you missed it:
  • JCink Premium: $80
  • CBox Premium: $20
  • RWBY-RPG.COM Domain Renewal: $15 (less when there are coupons)

The idea behind running a donation page is to raise money for at least JCink Premium - that is, the $80 USD portion of the above. If we manage to get enough in donations, we can set up the service and be on our merry ways, If we receive donations but not enough for Premium (assuming we limited the fundraising to a specific timeframe) or even have a surplus, perhaps we could all vote on a Charity to donate the raised funds to.

Now, while I don't think in-game bonuses would be appropriate, I do believe that people that make an effort to help the site deserve some recognition. My ideas for donator perks include, but are not limited to:
  • Custom color for your name in the CBox
  • Custom made graphics for you to display on your forum account(s)
  • A special CBox icon, in replacement of or in addition to the custom color.
  • A dedicated thread to donators, which will include links to their characters, plotters, want ads, etc. Not an in-game bonus, but something to help them stand out a little bit.

The Takeaway: If this is something we can do, great! If not, still great! As always, RLR will find a way to make things work and keep on keeping on. If votes are in favor, the whole thing will be completely transparent - and we will disclose the balance of the donation pool at member request. The only thing we won't show you is the RL names of the people who have donated, if such information is even included.

Thanks for your time, and happy voting!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PMWebsite
^
Seraph
 Posted on May 28 2016, 02:41 PM
is Offline
played by

I think that simply a custom member title like "Contributor" is enough of a reward. The cbox color thing could get confusing in the long run, same with the icons with the added crease of them being a lot of work. I think that simply editing a member's primary account member title to Contributor is enough of a reward. Plus it could also be used for people like Spirit who have made significant time contributions and not just for those who dump their wallets out for the site. The special thread is a nice touch though, I think.

I'm all for this ether way. I'll gladly I put in $5-$15 towards the site I consider my home on the net.

This post has been edited by Seraph: May 28 2016, 02:43 PM

--------------------
Adelheid Azurite ~ First Year, Beacon
Karyuu Rokuro ~ Second Year, Beacon
Kurenai Renya ~ First Year, Atlas
Gray Accone ~ Headmaster, Haven
Oliver Raleigh ~ First Year, Haven
PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll